Sunday, November 2, 2014

Week 12 Reading Diary: Nursery Rhymes

Nursery Rhymes

Nursery Tales

Some of these are really weird and pointless and short! Little Jack Horner sounds like an old nursery rhyme I knew...it might have been this one but worded differently. There aren't really morals or points to these stories. There is a lot of vengeance though. Death is prevalent through the tales and they're a bit morbid in general! Maybe this is to bring a lighter mood to serious topics?

Nursery Proverbs 

I knew the proverb: "See a pin and pick it up, All the day you'll have good luck"! But it's always been "penny" and not "pin". Maybe that changed with the times? The sneezing one was cute! Gives a bit of a folklore to sneezes since no one really knows their total significance (other than expelling germs) and are kind of like yawns. Same with the wind proverb. These rhymes seem to be providing rules of thumb? Like how to think of things and how to interpret situations. Motifs to live by, these are cute and I like them ;)

Nursery Rhyme Songs 1 and 2:

Yeah I didn't enjoy these two sections...There isn't much point at all to these "songs" and the language is a bit difficult. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had known the tunes of each of the songs. So I could sing a long, ya know?

Nursery Riddles 

I love riddles! I love reading the rhymes of them and also trying to solve them! These were really difficult though. Partially because of the language but also because the objects that were chosen to be described were weird and really random. Nothing I would think of. I didn't even know what a couple of the objects were..

Nursery Games

I loved the nursery rhyme games growing up! I wish I knew these one in the unit..there's just so many! Kids love to have rhyming games and chants, it's so cute and fun!

Nursery Love and Matrimony

Yeah I thought I was going to like these better. They weren't the romantic gestures I had hoped for or imagined. They weren't bad though! I hadn't realized that Jack and Jill was a love and marriage story..I thought they were brother and sister!

Nursery Accumulative Stories 

Oh mah gawwww I really don't like these types of stories. I get so bored. It just repeats over and over and over again. So redundant my brains melt.


No comments:

Post a Comment