Saturday, October 25, 2014

Essay for Week 11: Canterbury Tale Analysis

Canterbury Tale Analysis

(The Canterbury Tales: Source)

This week I read the Canterbury Tales! I absolutely loved this unit! Probably even more so than the Native American Units the past two weeks. The idea of medieval times is fascinating to me and I love the morals that were present throughout all the stories I read! Everyone that deserved to be punished was justly reprimanded to the degree of their offense. For example, in The Story of the Summoner and The Revelers the evil summoner gets his just deserts by giving himself to the devil and the revelers are found by death because of their immense material greed!  These were really good stories. I didn’t have least favorite stories! I think I got a little agitated with the length of a few of them because of the tangents that some of them took. I don’t quite understand the purpose for all the tangents. They made sense in The Cock, The Hen, and The Fox, but not in others. The notes were perfect for the introduction to these stories, no additional information is needed! I really just wanted to enjoy all the readings for this class, and this unit definitely contributed to that! I think a lot of Americans are really exposed to British tales throughout their childhood so this unit was kind of a flashback for me. It’s just the tradition of American culture to see into the history of the state that birthed this one. I didn’t necessarily learn new things in this unit, I just saw the reinforcement of morals that I already have. Examples include, don’t disrespect women, do not let material wealth get the best of you, don’t think you can overcome death, etc. I just loved every story I read this week! By far my favorite unit, please don’t change anything with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment