Sunday, October 19, 2014

Week 10 Reading Diary: Native American Marriage Tales

Native American Marriage Tales

The Piqued-Buffalo Wife

I've definitely read this story before...but I don't remember where or why. Maybe it was when I was first looking through the Un-textbook at the beginning of the semester! I liked this story then, too. It tells of how the creation of the Matoki occurred.

Splinter-Foot-Girl

There is already a theme of bestiality in these stories and it makes me uncomfortable. I wonder why this is a common and normal thing for Native Americans. I hope they didn't practice this back then..Also, she was born from a calf by thorns? And married a buffalo then a deer?
The rest of the story is weird too, on the next link: Splinter-Foot-Girl (Con't), and the next: Splinter-Foot-Girl (End).

The Eagle and Whale's Husband

This is so weird. The girls both said they wanted to marry an eagle and a whale, so why are they trying to escape them if they wished this? These stories are funnily unrealistic!

The Woman Stolen by Killer Whales

Welp. This explains why Killer-Whales are afraid of sharks! So weird that they live under the water and are demanding water to be fetched. And fire. It's like Spongebob.

The Bear Woman

Yeah...what? I have no idea how people come up with these stories! I definitely liked last week's stories better. They made more sense and didn't have bestiality. Here is the link for the other part of this story too: The Bear Woman (Con't)

The Youth Who Joined the Deer

Excuse me? Bestiality AND cannibalism? Why is this okay? I'm so confused with this entire story. And the human left his original family. That was rude and dishonorable. And I don't understand what phenomena this story explains...the boy turns into a deer...? The Youth Who Joined the Deer (Con't).

The Girl and the Turkeys

Talking turkeys. Yep, that's a new one! I don't really like this story much. This was my least favorite. I like it when the stories end well! This Cinderella-esque tale did not go as I hoped it would. The turkeys seem kinda like the dwarfs in Snow White too. That's why I noted it in here. Here is the last link: The Girl and the Turkeys (Cont).

No comments:

Post a Comment