Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Essay for Week 7: Assessing the Congo Unit

Assessing the Congo Unit

(The Congo! Source)
This week’s unit that I chose was the Congo Unit. I really did not have a background in anything African related aside from Egypt so deciding the stories was kind of a shot in the dark! I just went for it and I’m glad I did! I did have a couple favorite stories including Another Vanishing Wife and Why the Crocodile Does Not Eat the Hen. I did not really like nor understand the Fetish of Chilunga, The Rabbit and the Antelope, and The WickedHusband. Some of the stories didn’t make a whole lot of sense so I would have liked more of a background if there could have been any. That might just be the point of the story though; I do not know how the Congo works. The stories I disliked were not bad stories, I just did not like what happened in them. All of these stories were wonderfully written and interesting to say the least. This unit met my expectations by the fact that I didn’t have any expectations, and this unit caught my attention one hundred percent! I learned that the inequality of women and submission of them to men is a reoccurring theme throughout the world. I already knew that, but the depth to which the inequality stretches into history is always interesting. I am continuously surprised at the gruesomeness that is in some of these stories. The wicked husband cut his wife’s legs off! The antelope buries the rabbit alive! The fetish of Chilunga was very creepy, too. I just felt like these three stories were the most outstanding in their not socially accepted actions. I really didn’t like them. The ones I did like had really good morals and followed them really well! That’s why those were my favorite. I really enjoyed this unit!

No comments:

Post a Comment