Sunday, September 28, 2014

Week 7 Reading Diary: Stories from Congo

Stories From Congo


How the Wives Restored Their Husband to Life

This is why polygamy is illegal in America. Plain and simple. With these three wives in constant competition with each other to get their husband and his food, there is always drama, even in the face of their husbands temporary death! The wives are selfish. I do agree that the best gift was the gift from Fulla Fulla who gave her husband life back, the other two's tasks would have been pointless if it weren't for Fulla Fulla.

How Gazelle Got Married

Aw this one was sweet! Guessing the name in order to have them...hmmm. I might start doing that. Guess my name and I'll date you. There. That'll keep em at bay! The dog and Nsassi are really slow though if they forgot the girls' names each time they drank water...odd. But happy ending-ish! War with an antelope? That was so random. At least he was eaten.

Another Vanishing Wife

I really enjoyed this story and the previous one, the first vanishing wife. Always listen to the wife. That is what I get from this story! Haha men are foolish and the women will stay around until the man has disobeyed so many times, then she's gone. As is the case in these stories!

The Wicked Husband

Um. No thank you. I severely did not like this story at all. He cut off her arms and legs? How could he do that to his wife? That is so horrible. I really appreciated the warning in the notes. So much.

The Younger Brother Who Knew More than the Elder

What? I thought the younger brother knew more? But the elder brother just saved the younger brother from losing his wife in the trap. I'm confused by the title. It was a good trick on the owner of the town though! They have him right where they want him!

How the Spider Won and Lost Nzambi's Daughter

What is with these animals and bugs wanting to marry human girls? This emphasizes the fact that parents can marry their daughters off to literally any one. There's so much bickering between all these creatures that are supposed o be working together, it's so weird to me.

The Turtle and the Man

Oh mah gaw why can't any of these stories make any sense? The turtle is always the good character, not the evil one or trickster one...I'm saddened by the turtle's actions. The leopard is very sneaky though, I love it! Haha the ending with the man coming into the turtle's house was weird though.

The Rabbit and the Antelope

Hahahaha what the literal heck!? There is so much trickery and killing in these stories! Guess I know what I'm writing my essay on this week! That rabbit is so rude. Starving the antelope was uncalled for. And lying to name his children? Seriously?

The Fetish of Chilunga

I always thought a fetish was something that people were obsessed with like feet or butts. This story was weird to me too, like a poltergeist or something.

Why the Crocodile Does Not Eat the Hen

That's also a trick...chickens don't lay eggs in water..sooo this unit literally is focused on trickery and lies. At least the crocodile is mature enough to not want to make a meal out of his sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment