Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Essay Week 3: Adam and Eve Assessment

Adam and Eve Assessment 

(Adam and Eve after eating the Forbidden Fruit, Source: Wikipedia)
Growing up in a Presbyterian Christian Church, the creation story and Adam and Eve is nothing foreign to me. I really enjoyed how I already knew a background to this unit; I knew what to expect. The stories from the King James Bible Translation were the stories that were most familiar, word for word familiar. I enjoyed them, but I also really loved the versions of Ginzberg like The Fall of Satan and Lilith, these two were really different! I had never heard the version of Eve naming herself Lilith and disobeying what God wanted, I used this story a bit in my storytelling this week. I liked that he made Eve have an actual personality and not just be a push over. 

I don't think there was any other background information that should have been provided for me, at least. Maybe for someone that is not familiar with the Genesis story or the Bible a bit of a prelude to what they were about to read would have been good, but not for me! I think the fact that I knew the story helped me get through this unit because of the language; some of the old English makes it difficult to get through in a good pace. I know I get frustrated tripping over "thou", "shalt", and "doth" all the time! 

What if there was a different translation of the Bible used? Instead of  the King James, maybe a more contemporary version, so the words are better to comprehend. Also, in They Die a First Time, I had no idea that Adam and Eve came close to death so many times! God revitalized Adam at least five times in this unit. That was news to me. Very interesting news none the less! It made me feel their agony that much more. 

I'm not yet sure what my overall goals are for this class, so I'm not sure how this unit fits in with them, but I definitely learned a lot and a universal goal I have is to learn. I also learned that there are so many different ways to look at a story and to alternate its contents. Even with a story as famous as the creation story. 

I loved the collaboration of parts so much! Gives me hope that I can achieve really awesome storytellings with everything I read this semester! 

No comments:

Post a Comment