Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 4 Reading Diary: Ancient Egyptian Myth and Stories

Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories


Creation

This is very different from the Christian Creation story I read last week. It's almost opposite in a way...The beginning was the center of the earth from the depths of water, so it worked inside out! It grew outward, not inward as the Christian story tells.

The Secret Name of Ra

Woooooow. Isis is horrible in this story and in real life.. (pun) Tricking the highest god? That is not normal. Nor anything like the Christian story. It was a very interesting read though! Isis is freaking sneaky!

Ra and Hathor

I'm confused with this story. Did Ra die? And come back to life? Or did he just abdicate his throne to fight his enemies? These humans are so bold in thinking that they can take on a god! Hathor has no problem killing man kind, she's a bit sadistic.

The Death of Osiris

 This is a very interesting story. I like it very much. I'm sad the King died, but the way he died was very creative. I think I will probably do my Storytelling this week on this story! Kind of reminds me of the Trojan Horse, being inside a wooden compartment. I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Egyptian and Greek/Roman Mythology.

King of the Dead

I love this reoccurring theme of rebirth. Death is not the end at all. There is so much revitalizing throughout this story, it maybe hints at life after death as well. I love that Osiris is able to be the Judge and King of the Dead after he is resurrected.

The Green Jewel

This reminds me of Moses parting the Red Sea while Pharaoh's Army was chasing him and the Jews. There are plenty of overlaps between cultural stories that lead me to further believe that a lot of these stories are based on some truth of occurrence and are not just fables.

The Two Brothers: Part One (Through Four)

This sounds like John Steinbeck's East of Eden, with Cal and Adam. Which means it also sounds like Cain and Able from the Bible. Again, women are portrayed as extremely manipulative.This story is also weird. Bata turned into a bull? But only after dying. I don't follow.

The Book of Thoth: Part One (Through Three)

This story is slightly extreme. This guy is going through a ton of tasks just to get to a book. A book. I don't think I value books as much as this guy. It's not worth the struggle. Dang this story ends badly. They all literally die. In an instant. It was a bit too blunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment