Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 6 Reading Diary: Chinese Fairy Tales

Chinese Fairy Tales

The Favorite of Fortune and the Child of Ill Luck

Wow what a sad story. The poor princess just never caught a break. I wonder what happened to her during those 18 years of her husband's absence that caused her ill luck. She was a good, faithful person who had bad things happen to her. The fates just weren't on her side.

The Panther

Oh boy, this one was weird. How did the panther actually look like a mother. That didn't make any sense to me. Those poor girls. I wonder why they went to bed when the panther showed up? I would panic, not sleep.

Yang Oerlang

This one isn't bad! I liked it a lot actually. I love stories that explain the phenomena of the earth. Learning about why there are pearls on the bottom of the plant that saved the sun, why there is only one sun, and why the earthworms can't stand the sun. It was good!
 

The Girl with the Horse's Head or the Silkworm Goddess

Okay what? Do people just make up these stories off the top of their head? This one was odd. It hinted at bestiality, which I have not yet read in any of the units so that was new! The horses's skin wrapped itself around the girl, she died, and turned into a silk worm? Hahaha what the heck.

The King of Ants

I loved this story so so much!! It was so different and I could see the scenes playing in my head the whole time, it was awesome. I felt like the scholar watching all of this! I really want to write my storytelling for this week on this one. I haven't heard a story like this before. Awesome!

The Little Hunting Dog

This one is very similar to the last one! The Chinese Fairy Tales have a weird reoccurring motif of mini soldiers/warriors. I still like the The King of Ants better. These little warriors are very friendly though, and helpful. I'm really sad the dog died though...

The Talking Silver Foxes

Yeah this story is really confusing. There's a talking fox that people want to hurt when it's not even doing anything? And then there's a woman that is possessed by a spirit and the fox is the one that they try and kill? I am so confused. And then they killed it! But it could speak to them! So dumb.

The Night on the Battle Field

Whoa wait. I want to tell my storytelling on this one actually. I LOVE ghost stories. So much. I can do so much with this one. Being involved in an old battle field victory is so cool, I love this story. It was weird that the general's body was taken a part though.

The Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge

Um what? How did the sorcerer trick the soldiers? He was eaten by a giant. The only thing I can think of is that the giant was a friend or illusion created by the sorcerer. He had his wife and son eaten first so that they too would be saved and then himself. But the story seems to just kind of end...it doesn't explain how he tricked the soldiers.

How the River God's Wedding Was Broken Off

Ooo this is a good story. Killing off the people that most supported and enforced the custom. They were not eligible to be a bride but the sorcerers sure found pleasure in killing these young girls. I like when undeserving people get a taste of their own medicine. Way to go governor of the Yellow River!

No comments:

Post a Comment