Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Storytelling for Week 5- Inception: Persian Style

Inception: Persian Style

There once was a time where only God existed.

But there also was a young girl that was very accident prone and who lived in Norman, Oklahoma. One day she fell from her tree-house and cut her arm pretty badly. After a few days of healing, she went to her grandmother's house to use some antibiotic ointment.

The girl skipped her way to grandma's house only to be told that her grandma was all out of ointment! "Here my child," said Gran as she handed the girl two balloons, "Take these to the CVS on Asp and see if the pharmacist doesn't have any ointment you can trade him for."

(The Two Balloons Source: Balloons)
When the girl returned to her grandmother's house, this is the tale she told:

"I went to CVS, and on the way there I lost the two balloons. I was so upset, but I put my hands in my pocket and I found a penny. I wanted to get my balloons back, so I gave the penny to the pharmacist and he made a crow's nest out of a string.

"I climbed all the way up to the top of that crow's nest and looked all around Campus Corner to see if I couldn't spot the balloons. I saw one of my balloons had turned into one of the red telephone booths in front of Cafe Plaid, and the other was making donuts way far over in Hurts.

"So I told myself: "First, I'll go and get the donut worker balloon," and I went over to Hurts and said to the owner, "Give me back my balloon and his salary too, because he's been working unfairly for you." We discussed the situation at length and the owner agreed for me to have 200 donuts. I had no bag to hold my donuts, so I borrowed a cup from Chimey's and rode my balloon to Boyd Street because I wanted to sell my donuts.

(Hurts Donuts! Source: Om Nom Nom)


"Half way there, the balloon grew tired and I asked the people there what I should do to fix him. One of the men told me to rub grass on him and let him sleep a night. When I woke up I saw that a grass patch had grown on the balloon and that there was a huge apple also growing from the grass.

"I took my knife and cut the apple in half, only to have it fall into its enormous depths. Naturally, I put on my bathing suit and climbed into the apple to retrieve my knife. I was completely submerged in the apple and saw that there was an entire city there! I decided to grab a bite to eat from the local Pita Pitt and when I was done, I saw a piece of lettuce on my wrapper and I tried to pick it up.

"Upon picking up the lettuce, an entire train of schooner wagons came filling out! There were at least 8, but I didn't see any of the rest for I found my knife in my sun hat!"

And now my story has come to its end, but the chicken never crossed the road.


Author's Note: This week's Storytelling is based off of The City of Nothing In The World form the Persian Tales Unit. I found this story to be so extremely odd that I couldn't pass it up! You think my version is weird? Take the time to read the original!

Bibliography: D.L.R. Lorimer, E.O. Lorimer. Persian Tales: The City of Nothing in the World, 1919.

3 comments:

  1. I will say this is a very crazy story. The story left me confused at the end. I'm still not very sure what this story was all about. In the beginning I was getting into the story then at the end everything went crazy and didn't add up. I'm sure the original story was probably worse. Well great job on the creativity for this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was very out of the box! I love that you incorporated our campus in the story, it really made me want to keep reading because I knew exactly where everything was! While it is very confusing, you did an excellent job with your own creativity in this version. I am now very curious how the original went because it really threw me off! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like what everyone else said, what a confusing story! Even so, I really liked it. Haha. It had just the right amount of weirdness in it for me. I really like how you modernized the story and incorporated our campus into it. I skimmed through the original story after reading your version and I could tell why you did not want to pass it up! It was very confusing and I’m not sure if I completely understood it, but good job!!!

    ReplyDelete